Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Pretty Slick, More "In the Works" Kristine Mullaney Design


This is a custom office I designed for a client in the back bay. It is being installed as I write this...

This custom office is designed to hide all media equipment, each printer, light box and other computer equipment has a home. One thing has changed in the design, the computer is to the left. Something about having your back to the door I didn't like...maybe I've have watched to many mob movies, I don't know...

I have been working on this 2,500 sq. unit for about 8 months. I project managed the 2 month renovation. We fully loaded and wired this unit with Apple Technology throughout, a killer sound system and a large wine fridge. Which is all hidden in a closet. The condo is completely wireless. Which simply means, there is an Apple dock recessed in the wall, you put your iPhone in and all music, movies, games and anything on the iPhone is accessible to all computers and plasmas in the unit.

After the renovation, I was able to start on the fun part - the interior design!

There is lots of custom furniture throughout the unit, so the process is taking some time -- still it is going to be AMAZING and unique. I can't wait to show you the professional photos, when it is all completed.

Here is the fabric on the roman shade, Gordian Weave, by Kelly Wearstler

Love it.






Moving to the Livingroom....below.




The Living Room
Another reason why it would be great to have the professional photography - the feature wall is wallpapered in a silk ivory and golden StriƩ silk wallpaper - which does not come out in the rendering.
This is the drapery fabric, which I had hung on an industrial looking white track (so it disappears into the ceiling)



I never met an Oushak I didn't love....


In the living room I picked out this gorgeous Oushak rug. Oushaks are one of my favorite styles ....they are just so beautiful -- and the scale is just right, so it does not come off fussy.

Fine rugs are like art to me, I get a little obsessed and fixated on the perfect rug. Especially when it as fantastic as this one. It just adds soul and interest to a space.

I am still on the hunt for the perfect piece of Art for above the sectional. The search continuous.....



Here is the the clients dining area, please do not mind the iphone photo. This piece of art, is by John Palmer. Antiques and lock box found at local antique stores. Drum shade is custom, other pieces are by Ligne Roset in Boston.


Another piece I found below, was this Ormand Gigli, Girls in the Window photo. Since the original photos sells for for 35k, I decided to purchase one of the original posters and have it framed, for one area in the foyer.

I love the story behind this photo, below is directly from the Ormond Gigli site

Girls In The Windows, by Ormond Gigli

In 1960, while a construction crew dismantled a row of brownstones right across from my own brownstone studio on East 58th Street, I was inspired to, somehow immortalize those buildings. I had the vision of 43 women in formal dress adorning the windows of the skeletal facade.

We had to work quickly to secure City permissions, arrange for models which included celebrities, the demolition supervisior's wife (third floor, third from left), my own wife (second floor, far right), and also secure the Rolls Royce to be parked on the sidewalk. Careful planning was a necessity as the photography had to be accomplished during the workers' lunch time!

The day before the buildings were razed, the 43 women appeared in their finest attire, went into the buildings, climbed the old stairs, and took their places in the windows. I was set up on my fire escape across the streeet, directing the scene, with bullhorn in hand. Of course I was concerned for the Models' safety, as some were daring enough to pose out on the crumbling sills.

The photography came off as planned. What had seemed to some as too dangerous or difficult to accomplish, became my fantasy fulfilled, and my most memorable self - assigned photograph. It has been an international award winner ever since.

Most professional photographers dream of having one signature picture they are known for. "GIRLS IN THE WINDOWS " is mine.


3 comments:

  1. 2800 sq ft- that is amazing!! What a fun condo to design from the ground up- and that wireless system, what I would give to have that!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like such an exciting project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is one of my favorite projects ever. The client is in design, so he is really fun to work with. I can't wait to show the final photos.

    ReplyDelete